We tested out Scratch Mommy’s non-toxic organic hand-crafted SkinShade Lotion (SPF 20+) in the heat of the Australian summer – phew!
1. Non-micronized – the main active ingredient in this sunscreen is zinc oxide. Other brands use zinc oxide that has been ground down to nano-sized particles (micronized). These tiny particles can enter the body and are thought to have harmful side effects.
2. Non-toxic – all ingredients used are known to be totally non-toxic, you can eat most of them!
3. Non-Allogenic – unlike chemical-based sunscreens, these natural ingredients rarely cause skin irritations or allergic reactions.
4. Scentless – strongly scented skin products are often full of harsh chemicals, but also who wants to smell like anything other than your favorite natural fragrance!
5. Moisturising – the ingredients in this sunscreen are also great skin moisturisers and healers.
6. Clear – this natural lotion sets in the cold, but melts on your skin and rubs in leaving a smooth protective layer. In fact we found it felt much nicer on the skin than the big-brand liquid sunscreens.
7. Eco-friendly – Scratch Mommy take back and reuse much of their glass containers from local customers and their metal tins are made from recyclable materials. Packaging used for shipping is reused materials and shop bags are recycled paper too!
*Coconut Oil (organic)
*Shea Butter (organic)
*Apricot Oil (organic)
*Zinc Oxide (uncoated, non-nano, and not micronized)
*Vitamin E (non-GMO)
1. Silk – while it’s almost impossible for sunscreen products not to mark silk, we advise that you don’t get it on your silk bicycle-babe scarfs as it may discolor them. Although we found any discoloration fades with washing.
2. Leather – also try to keep it off your bicycle-babe leather fashion gloves. Although the natural oils won’t do any harm to leather, they can mark them.
We rate it 9/10.
WHERE TO BUY
Scratch Mommy sells online and ships worldwide.